Friday, January 1, 2010

Goal for the Month

We're back on board with the poverty project, and the plan for this year is different than last year. Last year we discovered that it's possible to live well and make good food on a budget of $200 for a family of six. We ate food that was ethnic, diverse, delicious, plentiful and healthy. I posted lots of food ideas and chronicled what our family ate for dinner each night.

This year, instead of focusing on food, I'd like to focus on appetites. How do I quiet the voice in my head that whispers "I want...I want...I want..." Of course, with money, if you want something you simply buy it. (And with Amazon's One-Click feature you can buy it dangerously fast.)

How will living in poverty, knowing that there is a limited supply of resources, affect my appetites? Are there ways to curb appetites? Does shopping always stimulate appetite or can I teach myself to suppress those commercial desires? Can I really live in poverty for one month in a world that bleeds advertising into EVERYTHING?

This is a world that screams "You need! You need! You NEED!" But do I really? Can I live without a new fill-in-the-blank or can I just get by without it? Do I need to go to the store today or can I wait until next week? Does most shopping fill a real need or does it simply feed an appetite that can never be satisfied?

Week #1 Challenge: Stay home this week. Can you live with what you have without going shopping? Are there ways to get what you need or be resourceful without buying something? Try it and post your success or failure with this challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks... :o)

    I found this looking for a shopping list to do the "live below the line" challenge with my family... I'm looking forward to living on under $2.00 a day for each of us (food only) and raising money. Sounds like you have had some fun! On shopping, I think if you don't see it, you don't want it... same with junk mail and TV ads.

    Thanks :o) Diane

    ReplyDelete